Sunday, January 27, 2019

Digital and Social Media Adaption




This project helped me relate to the terms used by Thevenin by forcing to actually engage in them. I really learned a lot from the word “text”. As I read the story, An Ode to an Orange, I was looking for something I could engage with. There were so many visual elements in this story that my mind was moving quick to try and keep up with it all. But once I caught on to something that was visually interesting to me, I kept coming back to it as I continued to read the text. I think this is a really neat idea to think about in my theatre classroom. There is usually a couple of things from a text that stick out to students. Having a connection to a piece is important in theatre but having a connection to the lesson is important for students to learn. If we have students keep an open mind to the lesson and they are able to connect with something their learning will increase tenfold. Another important term brought up by Thevenin is “literacies”. In my Second Language Acquisition class we discussed the idea of literacy and what is it means to be ill-literate. In schools students are categorized as ill-literate if they can’t read and comprehend or if they aren’t doing as well as their classmates. But there are many types of literacies and just because you aren’t good at one doesn’t mean you are totally ill-literate. In theatre you not only need to be able to read and understand a script, but you also need to be able to read facial expressions, body language, personality types, color meanings, and many many more things. To be a successful theatre maker you need to be literate in most of these areas, but not all. That is the beautiful thing about theatre, there is so much collaboration that if you aren’t strong in one area more than likely someone else is and can help you fill that gap. This project was super helpful in getting me to become literate in media. Media is one area that I’m not quite familiar with but getting to know a little bit more each day. But even with having it in my life I am just familiar with how to use it but not how to make it. I really enjoyed thinking about the story I wanted to create based on the story we read and then getting to create it with an art form I’m not used to using. By pushing students, a little bit out of their comfort zones, they getting to experience so many new things and acquire great skills that will help them in the long run.

2 comments:

  1. Emily! I really loved this stop-motion video you made. I thought it was really well executed and whimsical and fun. I think the tie you made to maybe your own experience with oranges (getting them in your stocking at Christmas time) was a great way to appropriate the essay and make it your own. I wonder if there could have been a little more back story or explanation of the relationship to Christmas/stockings and oranges, but I do think that the video explained itself sufficiently. Great job!! I was impressed by the movement of the candies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, what a whimsical piece! It brought such an appealing charm and nostalgia that were quite effective. I'm curious why that moment of the text stood out to you. What about it made it so visually interesting to you? Was it a personal reaction or memory that it connected to?
    Your comments on literacy are also quite important and emphasize how it is our duty as teachers to educate our students in literacy beyond simple reading. And while media is often frowned upon in the school system, it offers great benefits to become literate in it, as we can see with these assignments.

    ReplyDelete