In this image I used photoshop to change the appearance of
the ice cream. For me ice cream is a magical treat that escapes all reality. I
decided to use photoshop to make the ice cream become more cartoon like, the
way I imagine it to look in my head. I feel that the photoshop really helped me
add my personal feelings of what ice cream is to the image. The limitations of
this photoshop work is that it loses all its sense of reality. You lose the
shadows and dimension that an actual object has. You also miss out on its
taste. It may look delicious, but you don’t get the chance to taste it and
experience its chocolatey goodness. I decided to use photoshop because I have always
found it intriguing how you can take a photo and alter it in order to have the
audience look at what you see. I also find it interesting how you can take a
simple, boring picture and through photoshop you can make it a beautiful piece
of art by simply changing a few things. Though, in this project I didn’t use
photoshop in the same way most photographers do. I wanted to use its editing
software to create my dreamland in reality. I enjoy living in a world of
imagination and photoshop allows me to share my perspective of life with
everyone else. Using photoshop in this way also allows me to demonstrate my
escape from reality. I am well aware that I am in a real place but there are
many times when I like to escape and forget the world around me. Ideas like
this are some ways a teacher can help their students respond to works of art.
Having them think of their own lives and how they view them. By being able to
connect to the world around the and comparing them to their own emotions they
will be able to have a stronger response to it. This connection may take some
work at first but if the students are able to connect with their emotions and
become vulnerable to the work of art, I believe their own art work will become
more inspirational and touching. A teacher can also aid their students in
responding to media by having them practice working with different mediums. It
can be difficult to connect with something you’re not familiar with because you
are just trying to figure it out at first. But once you become familiar with it’s
easier to see the art and not the strangeness behind it. That is one thing that
I have appreciated from this class. The opportunity I’ve had to try new things
and become familiar with different works of art so I can then create stronger
connections with them.

Emily, this looks awesome! What I really think is interesting about this piece is that it feels kind of "genre-bending." Like you said, the ice cream doesn't look like it exists in the same world as this picture. I wonder what kinds of ways you can explore genre and medium specificity with your students through this same kind of genre bending. Films that use cartoons as well as live-action are a good example. how does it change the genre?
ReplyDelete