Mariachi As Sisters in Zion
Sheet Music
I was very excited to do this project because it is one of the first ones where I was able to come up with an idea pretty quickly. I began this project by listing the things that I identify with. The ones that I felt the strongest connection with were being a musician, a woman, a Latina, and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. From here I decided that I wanted to arrange a church hymn into a mariachi piece. I then chose As Sister in Zion because it is in the key of c and it talks about being a woman in the church. I felt that all of these represented me pretty well. The process was a long and hard one because I have never composed music before, but I worked with a lot of people and felt really proud of the piece that I composed. I used the Noteflight software to help me write out the music and it also gave the ability to listen to the instruments playing my piece. It did take some work and imagination though because this software focuses on classical music and doesn’t carry the same Mariachi sound. I had to figure out how to get the strumming patterns from the guitars instead of having it play individual notes. I also had to find an instrument that sounded like a Guitarron and would be a good substitute. I ended up using the sound of a Double Bass to get a similar sound. I feel that each of these elements corresponded because they are all musical aspects and can work together to share the same message. They are also very traditional forms of music that people within the culture tend to hold very dear to them. However, they are very different in style. Hymns are usually soft and carry a lightness to them. Using the Mariachi instruments makes it sound very different, especially since we normally aren’t allowed to use brass instruments in the chapel. I think this piece can help show people that there isn’t one right way to do something. Just because it is traditionally done one way doesn’t mean it can’t end up being just as beautiful another way. It can also add to the current conversation going on in our country in regard to separation of race. People are afraid to mix together and try new things but if we just open ourselves to their ideas we might be able to create stronger identities and become more unified as a nation.
I was very excited to do this project because it is one of the first ones where I was able to come up with an idea pretty quickly. I began this project by listing the things that I identify with. The ones that I felt the strongest connection with were being a musician, a woman, a Latina, and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. From here I decided that I wanted to arrange a church hymn into a mariachi piece. I then chose As Sister in Zion because it is in the key of c and it talks about being a woman in the church. I felt that all of these represented me pretty well. The process was a long and hard one because I have never composed music before, but I worked with a lot of people and felt really proud of the piece that I composed. I used the Noteflight software to help me write out the music and it also gave the ability to listen to the instruments playing my piece. It did take some work and imagination though because this software focuses on classical music and doesn’t carry the same Mariachi sound. I had to figure out how to get the strumming patterns from the guitars instead of having it play individual notes. I also had to find an instrument that sounded like a Guitarron and would be a good substitute. I ended up using the sound of a Double Bass to get a similar sound. I feel that each of these elements corresponded because they are all musical aspects and can work together to share the same message. They are also very traditional forms of music that people within the culture tend to hold very dear to them. However, they are very different in style. Hymns are usually soft and carry a lightness to them. Using the Mariachi instruments makes it sound very different, especially since we normally aren’t allowed to use brass instruments in the chapel. I think this piece can help show people that there isn’t one right way to do something. Just because it is traditionally done one way doesn’t mean it can’t end up being just as beautiful another way. It can also add to the current conversation going on in our country in regard to separation of race. People are afraid to mix together and try new things but if we just open ourselves to their ideas we might be able to create stronger identities and become more unified as a nation.
Emily! I love the piece you created! I love that you addressed and included so many parts of your identity and made it uniquely your own. This is an example I would love to use for future students because it expanded my perspective of how identities can intertwine and be so personal and create. I wonder how it would affect you and your audience to have it played live or by a group. I also wonder what you plan on doing next, now that you know how to use the software and created such a cool piece!
ReplyDeleteEmily, this is one of the most unique takes on this assignment that I've seen! Kudos! This single piece so interestingly taps into many aspects of your identity, and it clearly took quite a bit of commitment to complete. It would be interesting to see this performed live and how the costumes and performance adds to the identity of the piece.
ReplyDelete